Tuesday, December 30, 2014


Well, I can't really talk at the moment, so may as well write. First off, I really appreciate all of the kind messages from everyone. It means a lot! Many of you have been messaging me and asking how I am and for a status update. I thought it would be easiest to do that here.

As you know we are in the UK at the moment. It's bloody freezing and wet! I don't think I've been warm since I have been here, but that's another story. On Monday, I decided to brave the elements. I was planning some mountain biking here in Yorkshire and at the same time, snagging a few cool shots for my sponsor...Vanderkitten. Rich had just come back from a run on the Chevin and said he didn't feel comfortable with me heading out on the bike, that is was really icy and slick. Me, being the stubborn one that I am, decided I could handle it. Never mind the ice, I'm tough. You know what they say...hindsight is 20/20!!

All bundled up in my gorgeous kit and ready to roll. As I started to pedal out of the drive, I stopped for a car to pass and then giggled thinking to myself that I had better remember to cycle on the left side of the road. I was planning to cycle from the house to the trail. I clicked in and took off.  I was bundled up enough to keep me plenty warm...this also helped me in the crash.

As I started down the road, I felt pretty good. I figured I could handle whatever was thrown my way in terms of the conditions. However, this all changed very quickly. The parts I remember.... I was cycling along and feeling so happy to be on the bike. I remember seeing the ice across the entire stretch of road in front of me. I remember thinking just cruise over it. No sudden movements. I was going about 18mph at the time. I hit that patch of ice and the bike responded in a different way. I felt it wiggle under neath me. I can't remember exactly what I did next, but maybe it is my own actions that took me down.  I am pretty certain that I grabbed the front brake. I remember the bike flipping into the air and in an instant I remember my face, my chin to be exact, hitting the pavement full force. I remember immediately feeling my teeth break off. I heard a massive ringing noise in my head. I remember nothing else for a short bit. I guess it was only a minute or two that I laid there in the middle of the road.  I don't remember being pulled off the road to the side.  The next thing I remember was that I was on my hands and knees, seeing blood dripping everywhere. I was seeing spots and blood pouring off my chin and out of my mouth. I vividly remember spitting out chunks of my teeth over and over. Little white chunks every time I spat out the blood. The guy who pulled me out of the road, a runner,  he had stopped to help me. He didn't mind that my blood was all over him. I do remember saying to him that my jaw was broken (even though I had no idea that it was at this time) It hurt so so bad.  I kept hearing him say we need to get her to the hospital. I remember telling him my whole family here were doctors and to find them. Then I saw another man running towards me. It was Rich. He thought I had been hit by a car, bless. He scooped me up and put me in the car. I remember next screaming for my father-in-law and my sister-in-law who are both doctors. The rest is really a blur. Then there was the hospital. The x-rays. The doctor saying your jaw is broken we need to insert an iv for surgery. Then more blur.

I was drifting in and out of shock. The facial pain from the trauma was so intense. OUCH! I was transferred to a Maxillofacial surgeon and when he came to talk to me, I could see his lips moving, but couldn't hear all the words. Only bits and pieces. Thank god I had Jenny and Rich with me.

So- as far as my badly broken jaw----The particular fracture that I have is a Mandibular Condylar Fracture. The chin laceration not all that bad considering, but my chin hurts like a beeyatch!

After several hours at the hospital, I was told that surgery would have to wait because there were surgeries ahead of me and the doctors were backed up from over Christmas. It would be Wed or Thur before they could do it and with us flying back to the states on Fri, that just isn't an option here  because of the risk of DVT flying home. I was then whisked away for treatment of my chin. I had to be numbed before they could even touch my face. Once I was numb,  I found out just how bad the gash on my chin was. It was bone deep. This would require 8 stitches.

The left side of my face -all wonky and fat from the jaw fracture

Yesterday we were back at the hospital for splints/elastics. Long story short-- my mouth is now banded almost completely shut. That's fun. 6 week liquid diet for this girl. Not sure I can manage with that, however, I can't open my mouth much so doesn't matter anyway. I don't have a choice. Even swallowing liquid hurts. You don't realize just how much you use a body part until it's not usable. Ugh!

Let the banding begin!! Good times.
I have to meet with a maxillofacial surgeon as soon as we are back to determine what all needs to be done with my jaw bone. That's set for Monday!

This really sucks. Bad.

I woke yesterday and both of my shoulder are so sore I can barely move them. Both of my legs have big blue painful bruises on them along the tibial region. I didn't even feel those until well after the crash. My body has been banged up a bit, but my head took this fall. Obviously. So glad I had all the  layers on, otherwise there would have been some nasty road rash.

I can tell you that this morn, I am feeling better. I plan to suck it up, go out and enjoy the rest of our time here in England. Hey, this is cycling tho, right? It's not a matter of 'if' these things happen, but 'when'....

I'll be back to it all in a few weeks and I'll get back on the bike, fearless as always. This is only a temporary setback and I will be able to laugh it about it someday. Just not today .... ;) 

Thanks again for all the kind messages and concern ...T xx

No comments: