|I've added a few signs to my bike for the next ride. Hope they aren't too over the top?|
The most cycle friendly place I've ever been is in the mountains of France!!
|Top of Col de la Colombiere in the French Alps|
I was curious about cycling accident statistics and in my search the latest report that I could find was 2009. Here are a few facts....
- In 2009, in the US, 631 cyclist were killed on the roads and 51,000 were injured.
- 1 in 8 of the cyclists with reported injuries has a traumatic brain injury. Two-thirds of bicycle accident deaths are from traumatic brain injuries.
- The average age of bicyclists killed in traffic accidents in 2009 was 41. The average age for those injured was 31.
- Bicycle rider fatalities occurred more frequently in urban areas (69%), at non-intersection locations (64%), and between 5 and 9 at night (28%)
- Bicycle crashes and injuries are under-reported, because the majority of bike accident injuries are not serious enough for emergency room visits.
Check out this video and see how you rate in awareness??
- Please visit People for Bikes and sign the pledge for safe cycling. Over 2500 TT bike riders have signed the pledge, myself included and over 37,000 road bikes. Also, check over the website...it's great! Here are a couple of good websites as well..
- 3 Feet Please,