Wednesday, December 14, 2011


I couldn't seem to find my extra 'umph' on Sat
I decided to run the Girls on the Run 5k this past weekend and wow what an event. I have never seen so many girls eager to race and I absolutely loved being in the mix of it! Over 700 athletes were lined up for this one and it was much bigger than I ever imagined. My friend Jessica has a huge part in that as she works very hard volunteering her time to this organization and I am so proud of Jess for doing it! Kudos to you Jess for making a difference in the lives of these girls!

Lap one...Done!
It was freezing on Saturday morning and I really didn't want to get out of the warm bed!! I rolled out anyway and after a coffee and am some oatmeal, I finally started to wake up. We arrived at the venue with a whole 15 minutes to spare and it was cold! I had to force myself out of the warm car and right away coach says...."warm up." Off I go making my way through the crowds. I warmed up for about 10 minutes and then headed to the start. Unfortunately there was some confusion, we heard 'GO'...and about 50 people take off. The unfortunate part was...we were sent the wrong way. YIKES! At least 1/4 mile covered before we were told to go back. I turned and ran hard back to the start and my heart was about to explode when I got there. As soon as I toed the line, the horn blasted and I took off. Heart rate was screaming even before the start.

Cruising in to the finish
Coach had told me to hold back and build. I thought I was doing that until I looked down at the Garmin and was running 6:02 pace from the beginning. OMG! I have to pull back I kept telling myself and at the time was out in front. I was able to finally pull back and slow it up to a 6:44 pace and from then on it was all systems go. My pace wasn't as consistent as I would like for it to have been but there were some hills and a couple of false flats. My lungs were aching and the first loop felt like it flew by. The second loop was a bit slower and I soon realized I wouldn't go under 20 for this one. My legs felt heavy and soon my pace slowed more. I was just behind the lead police car for the entire race which was cool but was passed in the last 1/2 mile to drop me to 4th overall finisher. I finished Saturday in 21:08 and was happy when it was over. I'm not a big fan of 5k's but they are certainly make for a good speedwork session. With Saturday's race, I just didn't have that 'umph' that I needed to push any harder. Legs just weren't having it. Overall, I am pleased to have run well given the amount of run training I've been doing lately. The plantar fasciitis still continues to haunt but am dealing with it as best I can. All in all it was a fun event with a wonderful organization :)

No comments: