Monday, September 15, 2008


The weekend ended up being a pretty good one. On Saturday, I rolled my bum out of bed and made my way to TN for another race. The morning started out well. I felt pretty rested even though I had only gotten about 5 hours sleep the night before. I need to really learn to pack up earlier than the night before! Anyway, after a long drive through the mountains, I made it to the race site. It was chilly on Saturday morning and really foggy. As soon as I got out of the car, I heard the RD on the bullhorn saying that the race would be wetsuit legal. YAY! My first race where I can actually wear a wetsuit! I was excited! So was everyone else. And on a side note, I had actually pleasant experiences visiting the porta potties. They were clean and even smelled great. THIS WAS A FIRST! My porta loo anxiety's were layed to rest, at least for this event hehe! I made some new friends on Saturday's race too. Some were first timers and were so nervous. It made me think back to my first and the anxiety that I felt right up until it was over. On Saturday I have to admit, it was the first time that I have not been a little nervous going into the swim even though it was so foggy! I felt ready and eager. I went in right in the pack and once we started, I was about 6 strokes out and got kicked in the leg. This kick removed my timing strap. I felt it go and luckily was able to grab it as it started to sink to the bottom. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it back on my leg, and with the desperate struggle, I started to freak a little. If I had remained calm, I would have slapped it on my wrist or just shoved inside the wetsuit, however, all I could think was get the darn thing back where it was to begin with. So, I swam back to where my feet could reach the bottom of the lake, and got it back on. All of this took about 2 minutes off of my swim time. I started out again and fought like mad to catch back up with the pack and was successful to some degree. It was a learning experience having that happen, and now I know what to do if it ever happens again. Regardless of that little set back, I had my best swim EVER! It was great. I felt so strong in the water, even at higher elevation that what I normally train at. I was pleased.

Transition was good, no T1 tango this time either! On the bike, WOW! It as tough. It was just one big mountain climb, or so it seemed. Hill after hill after hill! There was hardly any down time on the bike, which for me made it terribly hard to consume anything. I had prepared a nice picnic in my bento box, however it didn't do me any good. I started out with a fig newton mini, and within seconds I was having flashbacks of the Tootsie Pop Owl asking" How many licks does it take" etc...I thought, how many times can one roll a fig newton around before you can swallow? I will tell you, LOTS! So, after 3 to 4 minutes of rolling it around, I was able to swallow. UGH! It was not good. So, then I tried a mini pretzel...WORSE! Then, changed over to the Gummies. Those were not as bad as the other two but still not what I needed. Back to the newton's. After fighting the battle with trying to eat, I just gave up. I had oh, about 160 calories on the bike. A few gummies and a bottle of Accelerade, it's all I could do. I have got to figure out this whole picnic on the bike thing! UGH! I just don't want to consume anything other than liquid on the bike. NO GELS either, I can't handle them! So, after the bike, another fairly smooth transition.

By the time I started the run, the temps were sweltering and the humidity was very high. I knew right away, I was going to have a tough run and I was right. Once again, the run, was very very HILLY! It hurt, especially with having no energy. My mind started racing, thinking about the heat, the hurt and the empty tummy. It felt like a zombie march for me. On mile 4, I was focusing so much on the heat, it was the first time that I came really close to losing what little content that I had in my stomach. I felt like I was going to blow at mile 4. Fortunately, I was able to swallow hard and keep it down. I was hurting and my body was telling me to stop, but I kept going. Started high fiving people along the way and the run ended up being fun. Difficult but fun. I was actually smiling toward the end. I ended up finishing with 2nd in my AG!!! YAY! It ended up being a great day and great race.

This year has been a learning year for me and I have learned so very much! Through trial and error, heartache and happiness. I have felt every possible emotion while racing and finishing each and every triathlon. There have been a lot of mishaps, and lots of positive things. I have learned so much, and I couldn't be happier with my first year in triathlon. I have a couple of sprints that I want to try and get in before the season ends, but Saturday was my last big race of the year and I was happy with 2nd. I heard a guy on the way out on Saturday talking to the person with him. Apparantly, it was his first race and I over heard him tell his friend as I was walking by, "I can officially say I am a triathlete now" and it made me smile. Yes, you are fella! Yes you are, I thought. 2008 my first's been a blessing to be able to race and a blessing to finish each and every one and my heart couldn't be happier. Excited about the remaining season and will miss it once it's gone. Can't wait for next year.
Bring on 2009~

Happy Monday All~


Eric said...

That sucks about the timing chip. I never even thought about that happening.....I will now.

Eric said...

good job congratulations just for finishing condition were brutal in almost every place in the east good luck on the sprints

jahowie said...

Nice catch of the timing chip. Congratulations on finishing. It sounds like it was a very rough day. That sign on the port-a-pottie is hilarious!! I never use those things.